Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Wooden Toys

Say what you will about old-fashioned wooden toys — they do keep a dad involved.

Back when I was a kid, I wanted a train set for Christmas so, so badly, and I ended up pointing out what I wanted: a full set for $10, which was a steal even back in the late 70s. Now, keep in mind that the average lifespan of a Christmas-morning toy train is said to be four hours. My dad kept that thing running for years.

Now, when I return a fixed toy to the kids, they happily treat me like a hero... and I start to wonder if, just maybe, Dad had as much fun fixing that train as I did breaking it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Andy,
The payoff does not come in the fixing, but in having the kids treat the repairman like a hero....
Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

The letters on the train are P, T, Y. Is that for Paul, Tiqvah, JoY, or LYn? Or are they for children other than your own?

Andy said...

We have the full alphabet, but only those letters were broken that day.