Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Bottle Rocket

I was coming across the bridge on my way home, when out of the corner of my eye, I saw someone running the stop sign just ahead of me. I cranked the bike to the right, and the other guy swerved left, so we were running parallel to each other down the street. I looked over, ready to give him a piece of my mind about running the stop sign, but my ire was repaced with wonder, as two things began to sink in:

  1. I was riding beside a beer cooler; and
  2. the beer cooler was keeping up.
He veered off to my neighbor's house, and I hopped off my motorcycle and went to investigate.



It wasn't my imagination. It was a beer cooler. But the owner (whose name slips my mind at the moment; he lives on the next block over...) had fitted a 10 HP engine and wheels, along with steering that reminded me quite a bit of a fold-up scooter. Braking were a step above Flintsone-style, with steel plates that rubbed against the tires.



Of course, I had to ride it. It was frighteningly fast (wheelies aren't out of the question) and almost impossible to steer. But, I had to admit, it was cool. He says future plans include a real cooler under the hood, and drag-racing wheelie bars.

No comments: