Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Black Hole 3: Adventures in Architecture

Now that I have attic stairs, it's much easier to deal with the attic itself. This is, more or less, what I had to work with when I started:

Notice that almost nothing is straight, nor level. The vertical seem to have been hammered in any old way, and the horizontal supports at the top aren't much better. The insulation is a mess, too.

After a fair amount of work, things are starting to assume a much more pleasing form. I've got four sheets of plywood down for flooring (three in this picture) and I've been gradually repositioning the support beams. Looks a lot better, doesn't it?

I'm not done yet, but I haven't been able to resist the urge to start storing things. An antique high chair and an Exersaucer have already been bagged and brought up. I'm definitely going to have to establish rules about what can go up there; I don't want it to become a junkyard. The allure of free floor space is very tempting, though.

No comments: