Wednesday, August 22, 2007

It's a bit damp around here

Rain, rain on my face
It hasnt stopped raining for days
My world is a flood
Slowly I become one with the mud

Those were the lyrics going through my head a few days ago as I watched state-wide thunderstorms roll across the weather radar on my computer screen, and as I tried, with increasing difficulty, to get things done around the outside of the house. After discovering that the motorcycle was in water deep enough to cover the rims, I parked it out on the street. The streets seemed to be well drained, but not the place between our house and the Volkers'...



Fortunately, Chris has the sort of equipment on hand to deal with this. He says he was going to use this water pump to make a giant Slip 'N' Slide for his youth group, but it got put to much better use here, I think. Not a moment too soon, either — the water was less than half an inch away from spilling into the shed when we finally got the pump going, and it was almost two in the morning before the water level dropped below the level where the pump could pull it.

Thank God for neighbors who are better prepared than we are!

No comments: