Thursday, November 22, 2007

I'm Dreaming of a White Thanksgiving...

In Winona Lake, for as long as I can remember, the first appreciable snow of the season has, more often than not, occurred on Thanksgiving or the day before. This year falls right into line.


Can we eat yet, daddy?

We had a fairly quiet day; since there were only two adults, we (again) eschewed turkey in favor of something simpler, in this case, steak. We've been married for more than 10 years now, and we've never made turkey. Ever. Grilling duties fell to me, and everyone got their order just right... once I got the fire started. For some reason I have abysmal fire-starting skills.

We did go around the table and share a few things we were thankful for; Aiden, when asked, said he was thankful for "that" — a bowlful of cranberry sauce. Fiona was thankful for necklaces. I was thankful that all the bills were paid, we both have jobs we like, and everyone's healthy.

2 comments:

Jonadab said...

Those are good things to be thankful for.

I've heard of doing chicken for Thanksgiving, if a whole turkey would be too much, and I've even heard of some people doing ham, but steak... that's a new one. I'm not sure how well that would go with the stuffing and sweet potatoes and corn and so forth. Not that exactly what you have is the most important thing, but personally I rather like the traditional Thanksgiving stuff.

We typically get weather similar to what you've had, usually about twenty hours later, so maybe with any luck it'll try to snow today. Yesterday it tried to sleet for almost five minutes, but it just wasn't quite up to it, and it came out more like rain.

Andy said...

Yeah, most years we've done ham; I've got a recipe my grandmother gave me, and it's quite tasty, even if I do say so myself. This year, Deborah was inspired by one of her co-workers, who also was having steak. Part of the attraction, I think, is that apart from the marinating and fire-starting, preparation takes less than 20 minutes.