Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Vacation?

Pam, my supervisor, went on vacation. Unfortunately, she went to Buffalo. If you haven't heard what's going on in Buffalo, they got 22 inches of snow in a very short time, which brought down a lot of trees and tree limbs, and, consequently, power lines. The "October Surprise" is now a state of emergency. When I spoke to her on the phone, she said she was having a good time, but that it took a bit of work. They have a gas range for warmth, running water, and they might have power by the weekend.

Jim, my boss, while driving through the area (yes, my boss is on vacation, too!) observed:

    "Merna and I left Erie PA early this a.m. and drove past Buffalo; there is still evidence of the 22 inches they got--but a lot has melted. But the trees look just devastated, worse by far than the worst ice storm I've ever seen. <every> tree has a pile of branches lying under it, if it isn't itself totally down. It's rather depressing to see. And we saw streams of utility trucks still coming from elsewhere in the state to help restore power."

What's a a vacation without a little adventure, eh?

No comments: